Monday, February 11, 2013

The Boy Recession (Review)

The Boy RecessionBook: The Boy Recession
Author: Flynn Meaney
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 246
Source: Borrowed from the Library


Blurb:
The population of Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, is shrinking as families move to cities and towns with greener pastures, and the local high school is hurting: nearly all of the area's most eligible guys have moved or transferred schools.

With little competition, the remaining boys find their stocks on the rise, and even the most unlikely candidates have a good chance at making the team and getting the girl. Guitar-strumming slacker HUNTER FAHRENBACH has made an art of blending into the background, but now desperate coaches are recruiting him and popular girls are noticing his scruffy good looks. With a little help, Hunter might even by boyfriend material...

Down-to-earth KELLY ROBBINS has a simple wish for her junior year: "one normal, nice boy to crush on." Kelly and Hunter have always been friends, but is there something more to their platonic relationship? And can Kelly overcome the odds? After all, dating is hard enough without a four-to-one ratio.
 
My Rating:
 
 
**I've gone back and forth between 3 and 4 stars and I really don't know which to choose. I liked the story I just had some issues with it.** 
 
This book was pretty cute and I found it to be a quick read. I did like the book. It was pretty short and at times was pretty funny. I found myself laughing at times because of some of the things the characters said. I just wish the characters and the romance could have been a little more developed.
 
A lot of the characters were either annoying, just plain nasty or completely clueless. I think the only one I really liked was Hunter. He was funny and did his own thing without caring what anybody thought. When he wanted to do something he did it and when he didn't want to do something he wouldn't. I wish the other characters could have been more like that instead. I found Kelly to be a little too whiny and she tended to get on my nerves. She was always unhappy about something, whether it was not having a boyfriend or even when she did have a boyfriend, who was totally sweet and polite, she wasn't happy because it wasn't Hunter, who already had a girlfriend!
 
The romance in this novel seemed a little forced as well. The characters go from only being friends and talking occasionally to full on crushing on each other in a few days. That really bothered me. It's like nobody put any thought into romance but then just decided to put two characters together just for the fun of it.
 
All in all it was a cute book. I liked it for the most part once I could get past the issues that I had with the story, characters etc. I really wish that I could have enjoyed it a little more.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment