Friday, March 15, 2013

The Bridge (ARC Review)

The BridgeBook: The Bridge
Author: Jane Higgins
Series: N/A
Publisher: Tundra Books
Format:  ARC
Pages: 340
Source: Received through ARCycling

Blurb:
The City is divided. The bridges gated. In Southside, the hostiles live in squalor and desperation, waiting for a chance to overrun the residents of Cityside.

Nik is still in high school but destined for a great career with the Internal Security and Intelligence Services, the brains behind the war. But when ISIS comes recruiting, everyone is shocked when he isn’t chosen. There must be an explanation, but no one will talk about it. Then the school is bombed and the hostiles take the bridges. Buildings are burning, kids are dead, and the hostiles have kidnapped Sol. Now ISIS is hunting for Nik.

But Nik is on the run, with Sol’s sister Fyffe and ISIS hot on their trail. They cross the bridge in search of Sol, and Nik finds answers to questions he’d never dared to ask.

The Bridge is a gritty adventure set in a future world where fear of outsiders pervades everything. A heart-stopping novel about friendship, identity and courage from an exciting new voice in young-adult fiction.
 
My Rating:
 
I really could not get into this story. Sure the adventure was thrilling and the plot was fast paced but there was something about it that truly kept me from enjoying it. It took everything I had just to continue reading this, just to get to the end and have closure.
 
This book is aimed at Young Adults but at times it read more like a Middle Grade book than anything else. I found the writing to be choppy and at times many things didn't make sense. I found myself confused quite a few times and had to go back to re-read a paragraph just to make sure I didn't miss something.
 
I only really liked one of the characters and that was Fyffe. She was so shy in the beginning but she toughened up during her adventure with the main character Nikolai. I found Nikolai to be annoying and he aggravated me. Sure all he wanted to do was save his friends and protect them but he just rubbed me the wrong way. For hating Southsiders so much, he befriended quite a few of them pretty quickly.
 
I didn't enjoy it but that doesn't mean that you won't! If you're a die-hard fan of dystopian's then you may want to check this one out. It's a quick read but there are parts that are pretty graphic (blood and such.)


1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I know exactly what you mean about choppy writing and the story being aimed more at MG readers than YA. How do you pronounce "Fyffe"? Nikolai sounds kind of...I don't know, weirdly confused maybe? This sounds like an okay book, but not really one for me. Great review, Sarah! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete