Friday, May 24, 2013

A Bad Day For Voodoo (ARC Review)

A Bad Day For VoodooBook: A Bad Day For Voodoo
Author: Jeff Strand
Series:  N/A
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: ARC
Pages:  251
Source: Received through ARCycling

Blurb:
When your best friend is just a tiny bit psychotic, you should never actually believe him when he says, "Trust me. This is gonna be awesome."

Of course, you probably wouldn't believe a voodoo doll could work either. Or that it could cause someone's leg to blow clean off with one quick prick. But I've seen it. It can happen.

And when there's suddenly a doll of YOU floating around out there—a doll that could be snatched by a Rottweiler and torn to shreds, or a gang of thugs ready to torch it, or any random family of cannibals (really, do you need the danger here spelled out for you?)—well, you know that's just gonna be a really bad day ...
 
My Rating:
 
This book was absolutely hilarious. I used those little colorful post-it tabs to mark off funny passages and lines throughout the book and by the end there were quite a few of them. This is definitely a fun read and not one to take too seriously.
 
Voodoo is always an interesting subject but throw in a couple teens and ridiculous shenanigans and it becomes even better. Some of the situations these kids got into had me cracking up. The FAQ's in the very beginning were even funny. And the book even has an intermission in the middle where the author tells you to go read The Hunger Games again. How cool is that?
 
I did have an issue with this however. The characters weren't too fleshed out and it made it hard to relate to them. They seemed kind of two dimensional to me, but I guess since this book was supposed to be pure humor it's not that big of a deal.
 
While this book is definitely humorous and is great for some laughs I do warn you against letting younger teens read this. There is a lot of blood and gore and if you aren't  into that then this book probably isn't the one for you.
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it gave you a good laugh. I don't think I've heard about this book before. It sounds...weird but funny. It would be one that I would check out at the library.

    ReplyDelete