Friday, May 31, 2013

Storm (Review)

Storm (Elemental, #1)Book: Storm
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Series:  Elemental, #1
Publisher: Kensington
Format: Paperback
Pages:  353
Source: Purchased

Blurb:
 
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.


My Rating:
 
The idea of a group of people being able to control elements was a pretty new idea to me (I've only read one other book series where characters had control over the elements and that was Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead) and I have to say it was very interesting and I was pretty impressed. I liked that beside the fact that they had these powers they were completely normal humans.
 
The story had me drawn in from the very first page and I stayed up late reading this because I had to know what happened next. This was one of those books where I had to know what happened and yet at the same time I didn't want it to be over. After I finished the last page I almost turned back to the beginning and read it over again (though I had to restrain myself since other books needed to get read).
 
The whole time I kept praying Chris and Becca would get together. I definitely didn't see a couple things coming in this one but I won't mention them here since they are major spoilers. The action had me on the edge of my seat and when the revelations started I couldn't believe I didn't see these things coming.
 
I loved the Merrick brothers, each of them was so different. Michael was very caring and protective of his younger brothers even if they didn't see it that way. Gabriel was fiery, he did things before he thought about them and didn't really care about the consequences. Nick was the peacekeeper, he was calm and collected and seemed to be the most logical and rational out of all of them. Chris seemed to be torn between losing control and staying logical. He had moments of both where he didn't think and then other moments where he thought everything through and was very logical. Becca was an interesting character, she was vulnerable and yet at the same time she had a inner strength that really came out as the book went on.
 
I think everybody should at least give this book a try. It has a lot of action and fighting plus some pretty sweet romance. These characters all have flaws and struggles that make them easy to relate to and I can't wait to continue with this series to see what the characters have to deal with next.
 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I can't wait to read this one! (Still waiting for it to come in the mail. Sigh.) I love that all of the characters are flawed, and that you loved every one of them. Awesome review, Sarah!! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girly!

      I hope it comes soon! I love flawed characters and they're just all so fleshed out. It's just amazing :)

      Delete
  2. I have seen this series around a lot and I just never gave it a second glance, mostly because the reviews were for books later in the series and so I didn't bother reading them since I hadn't read the first book. Thanks for reviewing the first book! I will have to check this one out. It sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it. This was definitely a good one. If you do read it let me know what you think or link me to a review and I'll come check it out :).

      Delete