Monday, February 10, 2014

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

10866624Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Lynburn Legacy, #1
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 370
Source: Purchased from Random Buzzers


Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

This book was difficult for me. I went into it expecting a fantastic Gothic story and I guess that's where it went wrong for me. It didn't live up to all of the expectations I had for it and in the end I was disappointed even though I really did enjoy the book.

The mystery was definitely enough to keep my attention. It had so many unexpected twists throughout the story and I found the outcome of what the Lynburn's were really exciting.

I liked Kami. She was quirky and had strong beliefs and didn't sit down and let everybody walk all over her. She stood up for herself and what she believed in and wasn't afraid to find out the truth. I admit I wasn't a huge fan of Ash. From the beginning I thought things were kind of off with him and he really just seemed to perfect. I loved Jared. He was obnoxious and snarky, but you could tell he really cared about Kami.

I was iffy about the whole talking to someone in their mind thing. It just seemed kind of weird when I first read the description but once I got into the story it surprisingly worked for me. The ending to this one was devastating. I am so glad that I read this one after the sequel was already out. That way I don't have that long to find out what happens with Kami and Jared next.



No comments:

Post a Comment