Monday, March 10, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth

13335037Divergent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent, #1
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 487
Source: Purchased

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

 
I really enjoyed this one. I was not convinced that I would since I had attempted it a while ago, back before I began my blog and just couldn't even finish it. I'm glad that this time I was able to finish it and really enjoy the story.
 
The action in this had me on the edge of my seat hoping that Tris and Four would be able to get out of the sticky situations they found themselves in. The romance was another fantastic part of the story, and thankfully it did not take over the entire plot. The romance takes time and it's really sweet but not cheesy at all.
 
As far as the characters go I liked Tris at times. She made some good decisions but then she would do something that was extremely hypocritical (like think Al was pathetic for crying when she herself was crying silently at night) that left me liking her less. In the end I found myself liking her more than I disliked her though. I loved Four. He was tough yet vulnerable at the same time. He was relatable and completely swoon worthy.
 
I cannot wait to continue on with this series and if you haven't started this one yet I highly recommend you go out and get yourself a copy. 


1 comment: