Friday, June 13, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

17162156Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1
Publisher: Quirk Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 382
Source: Won.

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

 
I was nervous about starting this book because of all the hype surrounding it, everybody seems to love it and I was afraid that I wasn't going to love it as much as everybody else. I am really glad I gave it a chance though because this book was awesome. It was creepy and mysterious and exciting. Though I do admit I had to put it down at night since the pictures really freaked me out.
 
The plot was amazing, going back in time through a time loop was something I hadn't seen before and it was totally unique. The peculiar children were strange and amazing at the same time and the fact that there were pictures included to show what some of them looked like was a nice touch. The monsters in the story were just as strange but they were frightening. I wouldn't want to be chased by one of them things.
 
I liked almost all of the characters. Jacob was kind of annoying at times when everything was pretty much right in front of him and he still thought it was all a joke. Though I do have to admit it was probably a lot to take in. I think that there's more to Miss Peregrine than what was shown and I really hope that there is a lot more of her in the sequel.
 
If you haven't started this book yet what are you waiting for? It is definitely worth all of the hype surrounding it and is full of mystery and action that will have you hurrying to find out what happens next.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment